Friday, February 15, 2008

Today was the day

Even though I didn't want to, I HAD to have a treatment today. Once every thirty days, I receive IVIG for about 4-6 hours. I put it off long enough and for what reason, I'm not sure. Anyway, my day started with taking the two younger kids to school, dropping off a cd for our upcoming Women's Conference, and then back home. I threw in a load of laundry, tidied up the kitchen and the nurse arrived...my sweet Randi!

I followed protocol (surprise!) and drank plenty of water beforehand to help with side effects. Poor Randi couldn't get the needle in! Bless her heart, she tried twice before her supervisor took over and got it on the first try. Her supervisor was there to do my yearly paperwork and made her nervous, I think. It only hurt for a second, but my arms look like I've been in a whale of a fight! Randi felt just awful about it because she usually gets a vein on the first stick. She's great.

The rest of the treatment went without a hitch...other than having to drag the stupid pole with me every ten minutes to the bathroom! Supposedly, if I don't drink lots of water prior to the infusion, the side effects are worse. I'm not sure which is worse, the side effects or the constant trips to the bathroom!

I was done in plenty of time to relax for a little while before going to pick up the kids. I have to admit, I drove to Starbucks in my pajamas and barefooted for a frappucino. Such a dork!

BTW, Randi and her supervisor both noticed the swelling in my hands this time and wrote it in their chart. Yikes! I have a follow up appointment with Dr. B on Tuesday, so maybe they'll be a simple explanation for this. I also have to have a nerve conduction study on Tuesday. Hate those! It's nice to be able to chart the NCS results from my initial diagnosis to the present, though. It wouldn't take much for me not to show up, so if you wouldn't mind holding me accountable...that'd be great.

Hopefully, the side effects will be minimal this month. At times I've had migraines, vomiting, hair loss, joint pain, and felt like I was hit by a truck. So far, no headache today...just nausea and dizziness. I can deal with that. I have a conference meeting tonight that I've really been looking forward to and I refuse to miss it. These meetings aren't "work" to me, they're a blast! Hopefully, I'll at least feel like putting on a little makeup before then!

2 comments:

Alene said...

I know you weren't up to par, but thanks so much for coming to the meeting. I enjoyed the laughter of the group. I'll be asking about the appointments scheduled for next week. :)

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow is Tuesday. Don't forget your doctor visit.